You might recognize me as that sewing blogger who only ever wears the same two necklaces (and you wouldn't be wrong about that) but contrary to popular belief, I do own other jewelry. We don't have a lot of storage in our little half-house, so the mantra is always 'build height and add wall storage'. There's only so much you can do with a rental, but I've successfully gotten my jewelry out of a pile on my shelf and on to a wall organizer in a way that's attractive, useful, and apartment-friendly to boot! Plus, the whole thing cost under $10 and took less than 2 hours. Can't beat that for organizational home improvement!
The foundation of the object is two pieces of driftwood I found on a beach in Whangarei when Jon and I were there visiting his family a year or so ago. I snagged them because they looked beautiful together, and also because they were small straight pieces on a beach littered with large logs and gnarly bits that Jon wouldn't let me drag back to the car... I figured I'd use them as photo props for a jewelry business I never started, and after they sat gathering dust on a windowsill for over a year I'm very happy to have finally found an use for them!
Additional purchased supplies are listed as follows:
- 1 packet of 1/2" screw-in hooks
- 1 packet of the tiniest available screw-in eyes
- 1 meter of silver chain
It's really that simple! I spaced my hooks about 3/4" apart along what I determined to be the 'bottom' of each piece of wood, poked a starter-hole with an awl, and then screwed each hook in by hand (you can use pliers as well, but driftwood goes a bit soft if it's been floating a while so you may be surprised at how easy they are to insert). Then, I added a set of eyes to the back ends of each piece, and used two pairs of pliers to pry the chain links apart and close them over the eyes. This created two hanging levels - one for short things like bracelets and one for longer necklaces (and my pocketwatch!)
Then it was as simple as choosing some real-estate on the wall for it and popping up a command hook (no holes in this rental, yo!). I disguised my command hook with a beaded flower pin I made ages ago, but they make those pretty looking command hooks these days that you could totally use instead.
On a side note, I made most of the jewelry on the rack: a sea glass bracelet and necklace, the little strung crystal bracelet, and the little cylindrical woven one.
This seems like an unusually short post for my standards, but hey - not an overly complicated project! To be completely honest, This is another one that's been finished for a while. It's only just getting its turn in the blog-light because I'm currently in full panic mode making my Frocktails Auckland dress along with a vacation capsule for next month - and several bags of wedding dress supplies are giving me a solidly guilt-trippy side eye from the corner next to the couch. I've got a giant to-do list in a color coded and multi-tabbed google sheet, though, so we're getting places. Slowly, but getting places nonetheless.